Getting Started: If there were 25 hours in a day, what would you do more of? Why?
Digging In: Read Matthew 6:5-15
- 5 When Jesus teaches on prayer, the first thing he does is to tell us what NOT to do. What is that?
- Why do people love to be seen as super spiritual? How is this hypocritical?
- What is the reward these people have settled for? What reward could they have received?
- 6 Why are these instructions given about praying in secret? Do you know people who have a “prayer closet”?
- 7 What is the difference between repeating a prayer over and over (Lord help me) and babbling like pagans?
- 8 If your Father knows what you need before you ask, why pray?
- 9-13- Spend time on each phrase of the prayer. For each, ask:
- What does this mean?
- What error does this protect me from?
- What perspective does this help me keep?
- 14-15 Why does Jesus put special emphasis on forgiveness? How does unforgiveness hinder the effectiveness of our prayers?
Pray: Praying with our spiritual eyes wide open, what are the critical places that you and your family need prayer?