Getting Started: What is the biggest storm you remember being in? Have you ever been in a boat during a storm?
Digging In: Read Mark 4:35-41
- 35- What had Jesus been doing that day? (4:1-2)
- 35- Why did Jesus want to go to the other side of the lake?(5:1-2)
- 36- Why do you think it mentions that there were other boats there as well?
- 37-38- How long do you think the disciples waited to wake up Jesus? Do you think they tried to manage on their own because they didn’t want to bother him?
- Do we do the same? Why do we feel like we need to solve problems on our own before we ask for help?
- “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”
- What is understandable about this question?
- Why did they jump to the point about Jesus not caring?
- How would you have been responding if you were in the boat?
- 39- How long do you think it took for the sea to calm?
- 40- Why do you think that Jesus calmed the storm before he questioned the disciples about their faith?
- 40- Why were they so afraid? Answer that question both from the perspective of the disciples while the storm was raging and from the perspective of the disciples 10 years later.
- Storms come up in life. What are the kinds of storms that are the most frightening? What is most frightening to you about this season of Covid-19?
- What do we need to do to keep from being afraid?
- How does it help to have others in the same boat as you are in this storm?
- Often our prayers at times like this focus on being safe and secure. How can we be praying for each other to not be afraid?